Clinical psychology is a psychology specialisation that focuses on understanding, preventing, and treating major mental illness, including:
- Anxiety disorders (Phobias, Panic attacks, Generalise Anxiety Disorder, Social Anxiety & Health Anxiety)
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorders (OCD, Body Dysmorphic Disorder, Trichitillomania, Hoarding Disorder)
- Mood disorders (Depression, Bipolar Disorder)
- Psychotic Disorders (Schizophrenia, Schizoaffective Disorder)
- Personality Disorders (Borderline, Narcissistic , Obsessive-Compulsive)
- Eating disorders (Anorexia, Bulimia, Binge Eating Disorder) and weight issues
- Insomnia & other sleeping disorders
Clinical psychologists are also interested in promoting subjective well-being and personal development. Some of the areas that the clinical psychologists at Moreland Road Clinic enjoy working with include:
- Achievement of life goals
- Self-based difficulties (loneliness, self-confidence, self-esteem, perfectionism, self-compassion)
- Sexuality, gender identity
- Relationships, parenting concerns & family challenges
- Adjustment (bereavement, loss, life transitions)
- Stress management
- Cultural diversity
- Health psychology (Chronic pain, Chronic fatigue, Fibromyalgia)
Clinical psychologists are trained in the scientist-practitioner model; being an effective clinician means knowing and understanding the latest in empirical research, while at the same time, applying the experience in with clients to help inform clinical and research questions. Consequently, the psychologists at Moreland Road Clinic are all proficient in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT).
The clinical psychologists at Moreland Road Clinic are recognised by Medicare, the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) and the Australian Psychological Association (APA). A Masters, Doctorate or PhD in Clinical Psychology is required to be registered as a clinical psychologist in Australia. This means that a clinical psychologist will have had a minimum of 6-years training: 3 years undergraduate degree, 1 year honours degree and 2-4 years Master/DPsych/PhD in Clinical Psychology.
Click the links below to find out more about clinical psychology at Moreland Road Clinic.